On 23 August 2012, I embarked on a solo trip to New Zealand. I still remembered the excitement when I first came to New Zealand with only a backpack, as the sense of freedom was incredibly amazing! This is definitely one of the most beautiful journeys in my life.
It was originally a trip of 6 months but it turned into 4 years, and it is still ongoing. The ultimate happiness of a trip is to enjoy everything that you really like at your own pace. Unexpected things might happen anytime and divert your original plan, but this is part of the fun isn’t it? I was offered a permanent job unexpectedly and live in New Zealand, so I can explore many unique places of New Zealand. In my opinion, New Zealand is definitely a place that everyone must visit in their lifetime!
I love this country more and more each day. 🙂 Although I am busy at work, I have spent a lot of time travelling in New Zealand. I love travel and fun, so, why wait to travel? I hope you will follow my journey from the photos and words below.
A few photos of me:
In New Zealand, my long hair turned into short hair, and now I have long hair again. I have also changed from a farm girl to a serious office lady. I have travelled to many parts of New Zealand. There is so much to see and do in New Zealand – hiking one of the Greatest Walk, riding a horse, picking mussels, hitchhiking, fishing, praying at lovely Church of Good Shepherd, riding a bike at magnificent Mt Cook, etc… and be surprised by the amazing scenery every single day!
Let me recommend some of my favourite places in New Zealand below.
Why travel to Lake Tekapo?
- In my opinion, it is the most beautiful place in New Zealand
- Hike to Mt John and visit one of the best café in the world – Astro Café
- Surrounded by beautiful lupine flowers in summer. Stunned by the romantic view in winter.
- Visit the lovely Church of Good Shepherd and make a promise to your love
- It has been ranked one of the best spots in the world for stargazing
- Click here to read my blog about Lake Tekapo
Why travel to Mt Cook?
- Stunning and magnificent view. Just like a postcard!
- Riding a bike here is relaxing. It will be one of the most pleasant rides in your life!
- Hooker Valley Track and Tasman Valley Track are the best tracks in Mt Cook
- Click here to read my blog about Mt Cook
Bay of Islands
Why travel to Bay of Islands?
- Relaxing! Beautiful beach! No need much explanation.
- Click here to read my blog about Bay of Islands
Why travel to Oamaru?
- For the art. For the peace. For the fun.
- A very small and lovely town. I love the buildings and decorations – give me a feel of art.
- Click here to read my blog about Oamaru
Why travel to Dunedin?
- Visit the famous university – a dream place to study.
- Visit the railway station – an excellent spot to take photos.
- Walk on the steepest street in the world – Baldwin Street.
- Click here to read my blog about Dunedin
Tongariro National Park
Why travel to Tongariro National Park?
- Tongariro Alpine Crossing is one of the best walks in New Zealand.
- If you have the chance, visit in both summer and winter – their views are totally different!
- Plan for an extra day here because the availability of hiking is highly dependent on weather.
- Click here to read my blog about Tongariro National Park
Why travel to Rotorua?
- Rotorua is the place that I love the most in North Island of New Zealand.
- A lot of geothermal areas – must visit one of them if you haven’t been there
- Visit Redwood Forest and you will be amazed by the wonder of nature
- Click here to read my blog about Rotorua
Why travel to Taupo?
- Huka Falls is amazing! The colour of the water looks unrealistically beautiful.
- The Huka Fall Track is a good walk too.
- Water rafting is exciting!
- Click here to read my blog about Lake Taupo
Why travel to Blenheim?
- A popular place for backpackers under working holiday scheme as there are a lot of seasonal jobs
- Must visit Wither Hills Farm Park – a great view!
- Click here to read my blog about Blenheim
Why travel to White Island?
- It is a lifetime experience to visit the most active volcano in New Zealand!
- Quite expensive but worth it, as it is a unique and mysterious place to visit
- Click here to read my blog about White Island
Fiordland National Park
Why travel to Fiordland National Park?
- The most popular fiords are Milford Sound and Doubtful Sound
- Doubtful Sound is more isolated and beautiful but is more expensive to visit
- If you are interested in walking on the Milford Sound track, book it earlier! It is so popular and always fully booked
- Click here to read my blog about Doubtful Sound
Why travel to Queenstown?
- A very touristy and commercial town. Might be the only place in NZ in which the shops open till late night every day.
- Popular place for skiing and adventurous activities
- If you drive a car, consider visiting Wanaka, Arrowtown and Cromwell as well
- Click to read my blog (Queenstown, Wanaka, Cromwell, Arrowtown)
Why travel to Wellington?
- Amazing capital in New Zealand!
- Nice city – wandering around the city is enjoyable.
- Some famous attractions are Te Papa Museum, Lambton Quay, Botanical Garden and Mt Victoria
- Consider other activities such as horse riding, berries picking and visiting a farmhouse (need access by car)
- Since I am living here, I have written many blog posts about Wellington – Click here to read them.
My Days in New Zealand… ❤️
These few years in New Zealand have changed me a lot. There is so much memory that couldn’t be expressed in words. I have done many things that I had never imagined in my home country, such as:
- I climbed on the snow mountain and volcano and walked in the forest,
- I experienced starving, earthquake and leaving of friends,
- I was a happy-go-lucky farm girl and then became a serious office lady in just one week,
- I saw amazing sceneries that I will never forget in my lifetime,
- I met important friends who will stay in my heart forever,
- I created my blog here – Opposite Journey.
I cannot imagine if I have to leave New Zealand one day… Anyway, I will continue my journey. 🙂